Friday, April 1, 2011

Little Old Me...

I can NOT believe it's already April. Where did this come from? haha This semester has gone by so incredibly fast. My time concept has gone to the dogs or something... I'm so lost. haha!

Well, to be honest, March was a pretty quiet month. The first couple weeks were just enduring through school and craziness. haha! Laree, Jake Redford (Shelby's co-worker), Avery (Paigey's boy) and I all went to the CES broadcast a few weeks ago. It was so fun! We took these awesome pictures after, cuz we're so legit! :P



Anyways, Classes are going quite well. :) I feel like I've done pretty well this semester, but my classes are harder than ever... so I suppose we'll see at the end of the year, which is in like 2 weeks. UGH.
Monday and Wednesday my only class is Ballet! I have it from 4:00-5:00. It's been really fun. Kind of frustrating cuz I'm SO inflexible. But, I'm getting better. :) I can touch PAST  my toes now! :P And when I stand up straight I can put my hand on the ground. That hurts. But I can do it. hehehe! It's been good for me to get that kind of exercise. Laree and I have been going running and to the gym, so that's been good. I feel all healthy and stuff. :) And I just bought some sweeet new jeans. I'm gonna be ready to spend the summer in my swimming suit!! :D WOOOT! Anyways. It's a tough class... meaning graded really harshly, but luckily it's only half a credit.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are my INSANE class days. I have 5 classes. UGH. Here I go:
Language Structure is my 9:30 class with Dr. Channel. I have that class with Katelin Minetto, who is pretty much my favorite person ever. haha! We have a ton of fun and she is one of the most hilarious people I have ever met in my life. I think if I didn't have class with Katelin I would NEVER go to language structure. We met in Clinical Phonetics last year and I had Language Development with her last year too. This year we have Language Structure, Language Disorders, and Disorders of Articulation together. haha it's pretty sweet. hehe Anyways. Language Structure is all about grammar and parts of speech and such. It's... lame. haha I loved the first section. I kind of rock at grammar. But the next sections have all been about parts of the brain and how our brain interprets grammar. It's not as fun. And all his notes are online so I never feel motivated to walk alllll the way to the MOA for class. It's like a 23 minute walk. :( merrrhhh... But Katelin and I go and study for our other classes. haha!

Next, I have an hour break from 11 to 12 which I sometimes spend with Katelin who drags me to the devotional on Tuesdays. But most the time I spend it with Jenny Newell. :) She's a sweet girl and it's really fun to have someone here from home. Kind of comforting really. We usually just eat lunch and catch up.

Then, 12:00-1:00 I have Living Prophets. I have it with Brother Tefan. He is SO COOL! haha He's from Tahiti and so he has a little trouble with English sometime, but it's funny. haha! He's seriously the cutest old man though, like... he's SO sweet and humble. He has worked first hand with so many of the great leaders of the church. He was a mission president and in the seventy I think. He's amazing. He has so many great stories, but he's always talking about how honored he is to be at BYU. He wrote a book and told us about it and was like "I don't know why anyone would want to read my book..." It was kinda sad, but so cute! I want to read his book! haha He knows everyones names. I went up to him yesterday and he was like "Well, hello Andrea! How are you?" It was SO cool! I heard someone ask him "How do you memorize everyones names?!" and he was like "Well, it wasn't easy. You all look the same cuz you're all white!" hahah!! I laughed so hard. We had some cool projects in that class too. I love learning about the apostles and the Prophet. We each got assigned an apostle and got to do a 40 minute presentation on him. I did M. Russell Ballard. :) My group was awesome, so I had so much fun. We've also written 4 research papers on different church subjects. We just have to find quotes from the general authorities that answer the questions he gives us. It's a pretty easy class, but I've learned a ton. I love Brother Tefan. You can just tell he cares about us all. He's one of those teachers that makes you want to pay attention just because you know he pays attention to you.

Then, 1:30-2:50 I have Language Disorders in Children with Dr. Fujiki. hahah!! Dr. Fujiki is so legit. Like, his lectures get a little dull sometimes... especially this late in the semester when everything is dull... but he is SO SMART. And he has kind of a funny sense of humor. He's really dry, and when he cracks a joke he just gets a little smile on his face which makes it even funnier. haha! But, it's been a pretty cool class. We just got to do this AWESOME project a few weeks ago. Actually, it was due on the 24th. Anyways... I went over to the Squires for it and took a language sample with Matthew. He's SO CUTE!!! All of them are. But anyways. I just talked with Matthew alone for 20 minutes about cars and cake and his toys! haha then I transcribed it and analyzed it. I had to find semantic and pragmatic applications in the parts I transcribed. SO MUCH FUN! It was cute though... after I had done it with Matthew, Daniel really wanted a turn. (I had originally planned to do it with Daniel, but we made the mistake of telling him it was my homework... so he cried and didn't want to do it.) So, I let the boys all look at themselves thru my webcam and make movies! haha in the process, I gained about a gallon of spit on my screen. I don't know... you're 4, 6, and 9 year old boys... what else do you do when you see a computer but spit on it? lol It was gross... but adorable! :P It turns out that Katelin needed a child to get a language sample from, so we went over later and Daniel got to do it. Isaac was a bit too old for the study... so I just hung with him while Katelin took her sample. It was funny though, I took Isaac outside to jump on the trampoline and apparently Daniel was like "AWHHH MAN!! I shouldn't have agreed to do this with you. I want to jump on the trampoline!!" haha! Poor Katelin. It was funny though and adorable. And all on tape! haha

Next, 3:00-4:20 I have Disorders of Articulation with Dr. Channel. Yeah... I can't really tell you what this class is about. I seriously don't think I've gone to a full week of classes. Actually, I went to two days and didn't pay attention at all... took the first test and did pretty well and never went back to class. haha! The only reason I go now is to find out what the curve is on the test. It's hard cuz Dr. Channel is SO FUNNY! Seriously one of the funniest professors I've ever had. But, it's his first time teaching this class and so everything is straight out of the book. And, with SUCH a full day of classes, I see no point in killing myself to go to class, then end up rereading the book anyways. haha I've done alright... not my best. -_- but oh well. Besides that, I have German Cinema at 4:00. It overlaps. So, I can't go to all of class anyways.

From 4:00-7:00 I have German/Scandinavian Cinema. It's been a very interesting class. I love it when we get to watch movies, but the last few movies have been incredibly lame. Like... weird and violent and lame. haha! But, I though it would be this fun easy class where we get to watch movies, but it's actually pretty tough. We've had a bunch of quizzes and we have to take 3 pages of notes for every movie we watch. Then we have to write an Initial Analysis of every movie, which is one 100 words, but I always do it wrong... lol ugh. Anyways. Then, we've written two sequence analysis in which we take like 30 seconds of a movie and analyze every aspect of it. Write like 3 pages on it. It was intense but actually really cool. Then we wrote a film review of a movie and are just about to do another one. It's been really interesting to go into such depth with these movies. I've never done that before. I'm more of a "I like the movie, but I don't really care to figure out why I like it" type of person. haha I normally don't like analyzing things because I feel like sometimes a story is just a story. I have it with Professor Oscarson and McFarland. I like Oscarson better. Actually, just yesterday they started to even out a bit, but sometimes I don't like how Professor McFarland interprets things in movies. Oscarson is definitely more conservative. Also, Oscarson is the main teacher so he definitely knos more of what's going on in class. haha But it's a good class. My favorite movies this year have been In the Lives of Others, The Murderers are Among Us, Run Lola Run, Kebab Connection, and I have not yet seen Let the Right One In but I've heard it's pretty awesome! haha It's sweet because a lot of these are 'R' rated but they've edited them for our class. So I still get to see them! :) Also, my least favorite movie is a hard toss up between The White Ribbon and The Baader-Meinhof Complex. I think I just didn't understand The Baader-Meinhof Complex but it was just wayyyy too violent for me. Apparently they edited out like 900 'F-Bombs and all the sex. But the violence was just awful. In The White Ribbon I actually walked out early cuz I couldn't handle it. I get it now, but it was just so depressing. It made me sick. It was all about child repression in Europe before WWII. It was showing how those repressed kids grew up to be the Nazis or something... crazy. But, I didn't care to see all the 'child repression.' lol UGH. Anyways. Interesting class. I have a friend, Christine, in that class who is also in my major! :) She's sweet and has dual citizenship between Germany and Canada! How cool is that? She just got accepted into the grad program here. It's pretty cool. But, in this class we all had to make a movie. It's only two minutes, but it was pretty cool. We did it with a guy named Michael who is her brothers roommate. He's cool. We did a break off of The Perfect Human (weird and seemingly pointless movie) and were done like 2 weeks early! haha We done goooood!

Anyways... that's my Tuesday and Thursday for ya. Pretty crazy.

Anyways... back to my journaling of March. I've spent a lot of time babysitting. haha I absolutely adore those Squire kids. So much. I love them. Laree and I have spent a ton of time looking for housing for next fall, but to no avail. :( We have no idea what we're doing. lol guaranteed, one of these days she's gonna do what everyone else has done to me and be like "JK Andrea! I already found housing! good luck!" haha No, Laree isn't like that. Anyways. We've also spent a ton of time trying to figure out our summer plans. hhh... too many decisions. But THEN - last weekend was JEN'S WEDDING!!!!!! :D :D :D :D Seriously, the happiest weekend of my life!! :D I'm gonna post about it in a new post though. Too important. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment